Try this Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding recipe using smoky Lapsang Souchong tea. Recipe by Chef Andre Begnaud
- 1 .5 C heavy cream
- .25oz dried mushrooms
- 2oz Lapsang Souchong tea
- .5 T olive oil
- .5 ea onion (cut into small slices)
- .5 t shallots (minced)
- .5 t garlic (minced)
- 3oz fresh wild mushrooms (sliced)
- I T molasses
- 3 ea eggs (beaten)
- .5 t creole seasoning
- Tabasco/salt/pepper to taste
- 2 C stale bread (diced)
- 2T Parmesan Reggiano (grated)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bring cream, dried mushrooms & Lapsang Souchong to a boil; reduce to a simmer for 2-3 min. Remove from pan & let cool
- Over med heat, saute onion, shallot & garlic in oil until the onion is lightly caramelized. Add fresh mushrooms & cook until tender (3-5 min). Add molasses & seasoning. Allow to cool
- Strain cream through fine mesh sieve into the beaten eggs. Season well. Add the bread to the egg/cream & mix, allow to set for 5-8 min. Stir in mushroom mixture & reseason.
- Fill 4 – 4oz, buttered molds & top w/the cheese.
- Cover w/aluminum foil & bake for 16-18 min. Remove foil & cook additional 2-3 min.
- Let rest for 1-2 min & turn out. serve warm